Make the easiest Sabudana Khichadi that is healthy, tasty and makes for a wonderful additional to any meal menu.
Ask any person in Northern India about Khichdi and many would say that is thier favorite dish. That’s because Khichdi is tasteful in its simplicity. You can barely go wrong with Kichdi and this in fact is a good recipe for beginners to Indian cooking can pick up.
Sabudana or Sago comes is extracted from multiple sources such as the Palm tree. Tapioca pearl balls are actually different but those also are referred to Sabudana now.
A variation of Khichadi is Pongal in South India. The English translation of Khichadi can be Porridge. Khichadi’s main ingredients are rice and lentils – you can either opt for white steamed rice or choose the healthier Brown rice but the flavor would definitely differ between the two.
While the original dish is made of Rice and Lentils this variety uses Sabudana (Sago in English, Javvarisi in Tamil, Sabakki in Kannada, Saggubiyam in Telugu and Sagae in Malayalam).
This version is Gujarati cooking influence variety of Sabudana Khichdi. You could have this Khichdi ready in under 30 minutes and good to eat hot off the plate. In Gujarat this would be served with sweet curd or sweet chutney but you can add any accompaniment to this.
Find this recipe card below that shows step by step how to make piping hot and delicious Sabudana Khichadi.
Sabudana Khichdi Recipe
- 1 cup sabudana
- 1/2 cup roasted and powdered groundnuts
- 1 teaspoon pounded cumin seeds
- 2 nos green chillies Increase or decrease based on your preference
- 4 leaves Coriander for garnishing
- 1 pinch salt to taste as per your preference
How to make:
- Wash the Sabudana thoroughly in water and then drain the water off.
- Heat 3 tablespoon of oil, add chilies and put the rest of the ingredients except coriander leaves.
- Cover and cook over a slow fire till done (sabudana should be cooked).
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.