How to make Idli Upma, with leftover Idlis?
Idli Upma Recipe – Got some leftover Idlis from yesterday or from today morning’s breakfast or for a snack? Then why not make a tasty dish out of it? It’s called Idimas.
Idli is perhaps one of the best South Indian breakfast recipes (or maybe even Indian breakfast). The unique about Idli is that is can be made into a variety of dishes apart from the original form that it comes in.
Though we are not certain where this name comes from, it’s been a pass-down recipe going back two generatons. It is popularly known in Tamil Nadu or other South Indian states. It also goes by the name of Idli Uppuma (Tamil ) or Idli Uppittu (in Kannada).
Now truth be told – Upma recipes or dishes aren’t liked by a large majority but perhaps people are so used to eating it so many times (at least in South India). So why not combine the best dish and give it an Upma recipe twist that will have your folks asking for more.
You can either use left over Idlis or even make fresh Idlis for this purpose.
Other Idli recipes you may want to check out:
Check out Idli recipes from other websites:
Recipe for Idli Upma below
Idli Upma Recipe
- Idli Cooker
- Idli pan
- 10 nos Idlis
- 1/2 Kg Onions Chopped fine
- 1 bunch Curry Leaves
- 1 bunch Coriander leaves
- 1/2 no Lemon
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 8 nos Green chillies
- 1 teaspoon Mung Dal or Gram Dal
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dhal
- 2 tablespoons Oil For frying
- 1 pinch Salt for taste
How to make:
- Prepare about 10 Idlis (plain) and cut them into small pieces or triangles.
- Heat a little oil in a deep pan.
- Add mustard seeds, gram dhal, urad dhal, curry leaves and chopped onions into the pan.
- Fry onions till it becomes translucent or light brown in color.
- Put in the green chillies for for a couple of minutes.
- Add the idlis and fry till it turns light brown.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Your breakfast snack is ready.