Pesarattu Recipe – Pesarttu is a traditional Karnataka Dosa recipe (and famous in Andhra cuisine as well as Telangana cooking). It is extremely high in nutrients – packed with Proteins coming from the Moong bean (Whole Green Gram).
The thickness of the Pesarattu is similar to that of the Adai Dosa but definitely has the flavor of Moong in the final Dosa. It is generally served with Ginger Chutney. For some reason Ginger seems to enhance the flavor of the Pesarattu Dosa.
We’ll admit we are not big fans of the Pesarattu as we find it a little too thick and a neutral taste. The Ginger Chutney does enhance the flavor but we personally prefer a spicier Green Chilli Chutney to go with it.
You can also reduce the thickness of the batter and hence of the Dosa itself if you prefer to consume it that way. Just make sure to soak the Rice and the Green gram for about 4 hours instead of about 9 hours or overnight.
Try this as a weekend breakfast or as a healthy South Indian dinner menu.
Serving options for Pesarattu should be Ginger Chutney, but we prefer to have Green Chilli Chutney. Other Chutney varieties should complement the Pesarattu Dosa recipe very well too:
Try these other Dosa recipes too:
Recipe for Pesarattu Dosa recipe, below.
Pesarattu Dosa Recipe
- Iron Tawa
- Non-stick Tawa
- Wet Grinder
- 1 cup Whole Green Gram
- 1 no. Onion medium sized
- 1 piece ginger - a small piece
- 5 nos Green Chillies
- 1 teaspoon Salt to taste
- 1 cup Raw rice
- 3/4 cup Onions Finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Green Chillies Finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon Oil for frying the seasoning
How to make:
- Soak green gram and rice together for 9-10 hrs in enough water.
- After that grind with onion, ginger and green chillies.
- Add salt at the end of grinding.
- Heat oil and fry cumin seeds, green chillies with diced onions for 2- 3 , for the topping.
- Keep seperately in another plate.
- Heat a heavy dosa pan.
- Pour dosa by spreading from the centre.
- Add a teaspoon of oil around the dosa.
- Sprinkle the topping and press with the flat ladle.
- Fry in medium flame till the dosa becomes crisp.
- Fold and serve hot with chutney.