How to make South Indian style Peanuts Rice at home?
Peanuts Rice Recipe – This is a delicious Indian Lunch recipe or a Lunchbox dish that you can make when you are left with few options. The main ingredient is the humble peanut but when it blends with other spices in the dosh it is very aromatic and flavorful.
In South Indian states (Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra and Telangana), Variety rice recipes are very popular – these are rice based dishes that are combined with ground spices/pastes and a main ingredient.
So what you get is a variety of Rice based dishes that you can have for any occasion or quickly have these readied when you are confused what to make.
You’ll find variety rice in fast food restaurants offering this as part of their lunch menu.
This is also a popular lunchbox recipe option – the dish is not messy, tastes great and is light on the stomach.
As a kid, this was one of the dishes that my mom used to pack me for school along with a list of other rice dishes.
Some other Variety rice recipes for you to try:
This Peanuts rice doesnt need any side-dish but if we had to recommend Chutneys and Raita based side-dishes go very well. Even a couple of spoons of Plain Curd would enhance the dish.
Some Raitas for you to try:
- Boondi Raita
- Cucumber Raita
Some Chutneys for you to try:
Recipe for Peanut Rice, below.
Peanut Rice Recipe
- Pressure cooker
- 2 cups long grained rice
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 11/2 cups roasted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon Bengal gram dhal
- ½ teaspoon black gram dhal
- 3 nos Curry leaves
- 2 nos Red chillies
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons Oil to fry
- 1 pinch Salt to taste
- 10 nos. Roasted peanuts
- 2 teaspoons Coconut scrapings
How to make:
Cooking the Rice:
- Pick and wash rice. Place in a container with 3 cups water and salt to taste.
- Pour appropriate amount of water in the cooker and cook the rice for about 10-15 minutes.
- Set the cooked rice aside
Powder the Peanuts:
- Fry Peanuts in a Kadai over medium heat (no Oil)
- Fry until the Peanuts show signs of brown and black.
- Once done, set this aside and allow it come to room temperature
- Grind these peanuts in a Mixer Grinder until you get a coarse powder.
- Set this aside to be used later to mix with the rice
Making the Peanut Rice:
- Heat oil in a pan; add black gram dhal, Bengal gram dhal, sesame seeds and fry till golden brown in colour.
- Add red chillies, turmeric powder, coconut and fry for a while.
- Add peanut powder and rice and mix well
- Garnish and serve hot.