Onion Tomato Chutney Recipe is a variation of the ‘normal’ Tomato Chutney. Here a variety of spices are used such as Methi (Fenugreek seeds), coriander powder, turmeric powder – along wito Onions and Garlic that give that additional flavor boost.
This Chutney is so complex in flavor that it surely is one made for the Gods. Pair this with Indian dishes like:
- Idli (Rava Idli and Dal Recipe here)
- Upma (Idli Upma Recipe here)
- Steamed Rice
- Bread (as a dip or as a spread for sandwiches)
Make this along with a couple of other Chutney recipes including the popular Tomato Chutney, Coconut Chutney and Green Chillies Chutney. Serve these along as part of your breakfast, lunch or dinner menu,
Find recipe for Onion Tomato Chutney, below.
Onion Tomato Chutney Recipe
- 2 nos. Tomatoes medium-sized, choppped
- 1/2 teaspoon Hing asoefetida
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Methi fenugreek seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut shredded
- 3 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon dhania coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 no. Tamarind very small ball, de-seeded
- 1 no. Onion small, minced finely
- 2 cloves garlic minced finely
- 1 pinch Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons Oil for frying
How to make:
- Heat 1/2 the amount of oil and add the methi.Fry for a minute and then add the tomatoes.
- Fry till the tomatoes turn soft.
- Blend this into a smooth paste, along with the tamarind and the coconut.
- Set aside.
- Heat the rest of the oil and add the chopped garlic and onion.
- Fry till the onion turns translucent and the garlic browns.
- Now add the spices(red chilli, turmeric and dhania) and fry for half a minute.
- Add the blended paste, salt and hing and heat through.
- Goes very well with plain rice or chapati.