Presenting this Mixed vegetable Roti (or Rotti) Recipe – South Indian Style to pep up a boring meal. This one an Akki (Rice) Roti recipe variation in that it uses Rice flour and a lot of grated vegetables, which are blended with Spices to bring a different flavor to the whole dish.
We recommend that you pair this with either cool side-dishes such as Chutneys or Raitas or you can go one step further by preparing Dhal curries that will complement this Roti perfectly.
You can omit any vegetable if you don’t like them. You can also add Potato and Cauliflower to introduce new flavors to the Roti.
The procedure to make the dough varies from other stuffed Rotis in that the vegetable mixture is added before making the dough.
Do try this step-by-step recipe for Mixed Veg Roti (or Mixed Veg Akki Rotti) and let us know how it turned out for you.
Mixed Vegetable Roti Recipe
- 2 cup Rice flour
- 1 cup Finely grated vegetables carrot, beans, cucumber,bell pepper and onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Jeera Powder Coriander Powder
- 2 nos. Green chillies - finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Coriander and curry- finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coconut finely grated (optional)
- 1 pinch Salt according to taste
- 1 tablespoon Oil
How to make:
- Mix the grated vegetables, Jeera, Green chilies and the curry / coriander leaves in a large bowl.
- Add rice flour and salt to this mixture till it becomes a soft dough.
- You can add a little water if it isn't soft enough, but usually the juices from the grated vegetables will be enough to form the dough.
- Knead the dough a little to mix properly and shape it into small balls.
- Coat a non-stick pan with a few drops of oil.
- Place one small ball on the pan and slowly press it into a round-shaped roti.
- This roti should be thin like a chapati.
- Make a few holes on the Roti with your index finger.
- Place this pan on the stove under medium heat.
- When the Roti gets cooked (it changes color from white to golden brown), turn it over with a non-stick handle.
- This part is a bit tricky because the roti will stick to the pan if the non-stick has worn off or there isn't enough oil coated on the pan.
- Remove the Roti from the pan, serve hot with pickle, chutney, sugar or spicy powder, and butter/ghee.