This Punjabi-style Masur (or Masoor) Dal Pyaaz recipe has Onions to give lentils company to make a simple yet healthy and flavorful recipe that can be easily made. It can be your staple dish to go with steamed rice or Chapattis / Rotis.
Dhal dishes have been center-piece of North Indian cooking with every North Indian restaurant serving different Dal recipes.
What makes Dal famous is its simplicity. Together with a few spices Dal can be jazzed up in taste. It is a perfect introduction to Indian cooking to beginners.
The Onions here in this Masur Dhal Curry/gravy dish gives it that crunchy and soft texture to go with the softness of Dal making the combination even more delicious.
Try this easy step-by-step recipe below to make the best Masoor Dal and Pyaaz curry.
Punjabi Masoor Dal Pyaaz Recipe
- 2/3 cup Masoor Dal Red Lentils
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 no. Onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- leaves Coriander-small bunch
How to make:
- Pre-cook the lentils using three cups of water.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and fry the onions for five minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the lentils and another three cups of water and turmeric powder, heat till the mixture starts boiling, season with salt and turn off the heat.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.