How to make Tangy Mango Rice
Mango Rice Recipe | Raw Mango Rice Recipe – This recipe for Mango Rice is a perfect start to the Mango season. Here in India, the Mango season used to start in March at the onset of summer but now it has gotten pushed to April or even early May.
Before the ripe Mangoes start coming into the market, the raw mangoes arrive first. These raw mangoes are perfect for a variety of Mango based dishes – considering the sourness and the tanginess flavors that it has.
My memory of Mango rice is being served this tangy Mango rice dish on a hot afternoon with other Mango recipes such as Mango Milkshake or even ripe Mangoes.
It is definitely a step-up to making regular variety rice recipes – this will definitely be a kids favorite and to those who love anything Mango, like me 🙂
This traditional South Indian rice based recipe is offered as Prasadam in temples, during festivals and also served in South Indian wedding menus.
Try other Variety rice recipes:
Or go back to Easy Indian Rice Recipes.
Recipe for Mango Rice below
Raw/Green Mango Rice
- 1 cup Rice -
- 1 no. Green Mango Medium Sized
- 8 nos Green chillies
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Oil or Ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 pinch Salt as required
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Coconut fresh, grated
- 8 nos Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Bengal gram dhal
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Black gram dhal
- 2 teaspoon Peanuts or Cashewnuts
How to make:
- Cook rice till soft but each grain should be separate.
- Allow it to cool completely.
- Add a tsp. of oil and mix.
- Scrape outer skin from mango and grate it.
- Slit half of the chillies and grind rest into fine paste.
- Heat oil, add seasonings and fry till light brown.
- Add slit chillies and chilli paste with grated mangoes.
- Fry for few minutes.
- Add turmeric powder and mix.
- Pour over rice with enough salt and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, curry leaves, and grated coconut.