Black Lentils (Kali Dhal) Curry
- 1 cup kali dal mah dal/black lentils
- 6 cups water 1 fresh green chili chopped
- 3 tbsps vegetable oil
- 1 inch "ginger peeled and chopped into tiny pieces
- 2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 teaspoon heavy cream optional
- 10 leaves Coriander to garnish
How to make:
- Wash the dal in several changes of water.
- Drain and add the water.
- Add salt, coriander powder and half of the ginger; cook on low heat for 2 - 3 hours or pressure-cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil, add remaining ginger, chili, and fry until golden brown. Add the cumin and pepper and stir.
- Pour the above mixture into the dal and simmer for at least another 30 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and simmer until the lentils are thoroughly soft.
- Garnish with coriander leaves before serving.
Liked this recipe?Comment below how it was!
Let us know on Facebook @indianfoodkitchens