Bhindi (Ladies finger/Okra) is what we would call a comfort food vegetable for Indian vegetable dishes. This Bhindi fry recipe uses very little oil to make, is relatively easy to make and goes well in lunchboxes.
This north Indian dish is very flavorful and brings in a lot of texture from other vegetables in the dish. We recommend that you pair this with Chapathi’s or go as an accompaniment with steamed rice and Sambar.
In North India (Hindi) this would fall under the Subzi recipes category.
Bhindi Fry (Ladies Finger Curry)
- 1/2 Kilogram Okra Ladies finger / Bhindi (in Hindi)
- 2 Nos. small Onions
- 2 Nos. small Tomatoes
- 1/ 4 teaspoon Turmeric
- salt to taste
- Red pepper optional
- Oil for frying
How to make:
- Wash the okra and dry it thoroughly.
- Cut the heads and cut into small circles. Chop the onions and tomatoes separately.
- Deep fry the okra until very brown.
- Remove from heat and set aside. Pour out some oil. Add turmeric to hot oil. Add the onions and fry until golden brown.
- Add the fried okra, salt, pepper, and tomatoes. Cover and bake at 250 degrees Farenheit for 15 minutes or cook in a pressure cooker for about half an hour.