This Punjabi recipe for Aloo Methi (or Methi Aloo) is delectable combination of Potatoes and the flavorful Fenugreek to give you a dry vegetable curry that is a perfect side-dish for Chapattis or even steamed Rice dishes.
Aloo or Potato is staple in North Indian dishes. This subzi (vegetable) dish is a step-up from normal Potato fry recipes in that it combines with Methi to produce a simple yet very enjoyable dish. The process is also easy that even newbies to Indian cooking can definitely make.
Subzi or Sabzi in Hindi is a colloquial term for all vegetable based fry recipes that are usually the accompaniment to Indian main course dishes.
You can increase the quantity of Methi if you like to increase the overall Methi flavor in the dish.
So if you want to enthrall people with a different variety of subzi or curry, then definitely do try this Methi Aloo recipe by this easy step-by-step recipe, below. Do let us know how it turned out for you.
Methi Aloo Recipe
- 250 grams small potatoes washed and scrubbed well
- 10 stalks Methi or Fenugreek
- 4 tablespoon mustard oil
- 4 flakes garlic
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tablespoon Cooking oil preferably mustard oil
- 1 pinch salt to taste as per your preference
How to make:
- Remove the stems of methi and chop the leaves finely.
- Rub 1 tsp of salt and keep aside.
- Wash and scrub the potatoes if not already done.
- Do no peel them.
- If small potatoes are not available medium potatoes can be used (3-4) and cut into 1" cubes.
- Wash methi several times in the water.
- Strain it. heat oil until it smokes. Reduce the flame.
- Add garlic, when it changes color, add potatoes.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add methi, turmeric powder salt, garam masala and red chili powder and mix well.
- Cook covered for 15-17 minutes, till the potatoes are cooked.
- Uncover and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve hot with rice or chapatis.